Labradoodles usually come in the main coat types: fleece (like an Angora goat), wool (like lamb wool in texture) and hair (more similar to Labrador’s coat type but longer). That means, that every coat type needs careful grooming.
In this article we are going to give you all necessary information on Labradoodle bathing and choosing an appropriate shampoo.
How Often Should I Bathe my Labradoodle?
The main rule here sounds like ‘bathe your Labradoodle as long as it gets dirty’. It means not too often and not too rare. Frequent bathing with shampoos may cause the skin to become dry and easy irritable, a rare bathing, on the contrary, may cause skin infections due to poor hygiene.
You should also look up to a season: frequent bathing in the winter may be dangerous, since cleaning up a dog in the autumn, for example, should be a must.
How to Bathe
- As a Labradoodle has dense and smooth fur tending to mat (that may also be relatively long), brush your dog before the bath.
- Clean your Labradoodle’s face. This breed tends to tear, so wipe under the eyes with a cotton ball and clean water. Pay attention to the ears, because Labradoodles have a lot of hairs in their ear canals. Clean the ears with special cleansing solution.
- Place your Labradoodle on a non-slip surface in your bathtub. Make sure that the water is not too hot. Saturate Labradoodle’s entire coat with warm water. Make sure the water doesn’t get into the ears.
- Use a tear-free shampoo to wash your dog. Pay special attention to body, ears, neck, tail, legs and buttocks. Gentle massage motions will help shampoo to cleanse the skin and fur.
- Rinse the shampoo till the water is clear. Use a mild dog conditioner to make the fur smooth and silky. Rinse conditioner until the water runs clear.
- Dry your Labradoodle with a towel (drying with hair dryer is optional).
Best Shampoo for a Labradoodle
All dog shampoos may be divided in accordance with the purpose they are going to serve:
- soft shampoos for regular use and cleaning shampoos to get rid of stink and stains;
- special antibacterial shampoos (for dogs with skin problems) and shampoos that protect a dog against dangerous insects.
Best products for regular use:
- Dr. Harvey’s Herbal Shampoo and Conditioner;
- Happytails Canine Spa Line. Shampoo and Conditioner;
- The Honest Kitchen Sparkle Dog Shampoo;
- Ark Naturals Neem Protect Shampoo;
- VF Clinical Care Oatmeal And Tea Tree Oil Infuser Shampoo.
Best shampoos for Labradoodles with dry skin:
- Luxury Tar & Sulfa Itch Relief Shampoo by Espree;
- Isle of Dogs Shampoos for Itchy Dogs;
- Nature’s Specialties Colloidal Oatmeal Shampoo;
- Vets Best Hypo-Allergenic Shampoo.
Products for regular use for Labradoodles who get very dirty:
- Isle of Dog Deep Cleaning Dog Shampoo and Conditioner;
- Legger Dog Shampoo and Conditioner;
- Nourish Feelin’ Sweet Fash Wash & Shampoo;
- Triple Strength Dirty Dog Concentrated Shampoo.