It is always necessary to remember that hair status depends on general well-being of an animal. In other words, if you want your dog to have healthy skin and hair, you should feed it with wholesome food and care of it properly.
Sometimes veterinarians say that skin is the mirror of the whole body conditions. You can easily check this: when a dog is ill or fed badly, its skin and hair become less healthy. On the contrary, healthy dogs have excellent hair.
Labradors have two layers of hair. You can see the first one with your eyes; it is called the “upper hair”. This type of hair is rather firm and long. Also it is bright because it consists of natural oils. These oils perform another important function – they repel the water from the dog’s body. However, dog’s hair should not look or be greasy.
Besides this, Labradors have an undercoat that consists of soft and short hair. It is thicker than the first layer and protects the dog from cold weather. That is why these dogs can swim in cold water and do not get sick.
The hair of Labradors does not need any special care. There is no need to card your dog’s hair every single day because it does not tangle.
However, you should brush your pet’s hair regularly during the period of shedding which happens two times a year. You should do this in order to remove an unnecessary overcoat and to keep your apartment clean.
How Often Do Labradors Shed?
In general, shedding happens two times a year. But this process differs depending on the gender of your dog.
Female dogs’ shedding depends on their hormone status. It begins two months before heat and continues very rapidly. During this period the dog can shed almost to the bare skin and then new hair will grow. By the time of heat the dog gets its best shape.
Male dogs’ shedding depends on the season. However, nowadays most dogs live in apartments with heating and their shedding can last long and can have no limits.
How to Minimize?
There are some ways to go through the period of shedding easily:
- If your dog sheds a lot, go to a veterinarian and check its health status. Maybe he would find out what is wrong with your pet.
- Pay attention to the food you give to your dog. It should be various, full of vitamins and well-prepared. If you fed your Labrador with dry dog food, maybe it is time to change it for another type.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to keep your apartment clean.
- Give your dog vitamin additives during this period.
- Also you can buy a furminator that is a special tool for making the process of brushing mush easier.