When this breed first attracted the attention of Europeans, Labradors were all black. Historically large shaggy black dogs appeared on the island of Newfoundland, this is the homeland of Labrador. The Labrador Peninsula is separated from Newfoundland by the Strait of Belle-Ile, but the name of the breed somehow was given after the Peninsula.
Black fur color was originally inherent in the breed. This is the dominant color, so if the puppy is present with the gene of black color, it by no means will be yellow.
Thick and shiny black Labrador is very beautiful. It’s a little reminiscent of the mineral labradorite, sometimes even the bluish glare. Labrador dog of black color looks more impressive, as people unconsciously treat black dogs as more cautious and respectful.
Here we’ve tried to gather the most important information about black Labradors and have listed it as the facts. So we hope you’ll find out something new for yourself here and have fun.
Interesting Facts about Labrador Retrievers
- Labrador retrievers are excellent swimmers. Their feet are webbed and their tail allows them to swim well. The tail of the Labrador is a kind of a wheel, thanks to which he can sail in the right direction.
- Webbed feet of a Labrador Retriever also help him to walk freely through the snow and prevent the accumulation of snow between the toes. That spares Labradors many diseases and saves their health.
- The fur of the Labrador Retriever is waterproof. Their hair coat is a distinctive feature of the breed. They have a so-called double coat. The soft undercoat is resistant to different atmospheric conditions, protecting dogs from extreme cold and getting wet from any kind of pollution. The outer layer of fur is quite rough and serves as an additional strengthening to the undercoat. The soft undercoat has proved to have a water-repellent effect.
- Labrador retrievers like all other dogs shed. Although the process of shedding is not as intense as of German Shepherds or Alaskan Malamutes. They shed only twice a year.
- Obedience, speed and efficiency. Labrador retrievers always won in American field trials retrievers due.
- There are two recognized lines of Labrador. They are the more stocky English Labrador and the American Labrador.
- Labradors are known for its voracious appetite. They will never refuse food that you offer them, except when they don’t feel very good. One of the most common negative traits is the fact that the Labrador loves to beg food at the kitchen table.
Black Puppy in the House
Remember, nothing ever reflects so much on a pet, regardless of the age, as the bad attitude to it.
After a couple of days the puppy will get used to the new house. Here the point can be to educate. The first thing you need to do is to win the puppy’s trust. The more you communicate with it (walk, feed, care and play), the better it will understand what you are his friend.