In spite that lots of different ready-to-eat dog foods can be easily found in stores, some owners prefer to cook their own. The point is that dog lovers sometimes have doubts about manufactured foods and therefore would like to assume full control over the food ingredients. Besides, you can hardly find a birthday cake fitting a dog’s digestion in a store. If you would like some special dish, you’ll have to make them yourself.
There are three main reasons why dog lovers may cook at home.
- firstly, both old dogs and puppies may have special tastes and desires;
- secondly, an owner may want to avoid problems, related to processed food;
- thirdly, cooking at home is considerably cheaper, since the very cooking process is free of cost.
Warning! Don’t forget that any dish you cook should meet the requirements:
- it should provide enough carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, minerals and water;
- it should contain enough calories;
- portions should be not so big;
- guide the feeding plan according to the dog’s health and appearance;
- it should not contain any products which you dog is allergic to.
Here are a few recipes fitting your Shih Tzu’s nutritional needs:
- a cup and a half of boiled chicken cut into bite size pieces – ;
- half a cup of boiled vegetables (carrots, celery, potato, pumpkin etc.);
- half a cup of cooked brown rice;
- 3 tablespoons of chicken broth (without salt).
Mix all ingredients in a big saucepan and heat for 20 minutes. Let the casserole cool to room temperature and give it to your dog.
- 5-6lbs meat (chicken, turkey, beef, bison or elk meat);
- 500g mixed frozen vegetables (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans) + ;
- 350g frozen butternut squash;
- 350g frozen sweet potatoes;
- 4 eggs;
- 2 apples or 6 tbsp. of apple puree;
- 100g blueberries;
- 3 tbsps. crushed egg shells. (in powder form).
Firstly, preheat oven to 350 degrees, then place all the veggies in a pot, pour some water in so that it covered all veggies and boil on a medium heat until the vegetables become slightly soft. After that, put the meat into a steel or glass bowl. Then blend the eggs, blueberries and apples into puree, add to the bowl and mix. Add some of the vegetables and water to a blender and mix them too. Take each bunch of blended vegetables, put into the bowl with meat and mix thoroughly. In the end place the mixture into oven-safe dishes (3 should be enough) and cook the stuff until its pink in the middle.
This amount is enough for three weeks if fed twice a day.
- a can of Tuna in water;
- a stick of celery;
- a tablespoon of olive oil;
- a teaspoon of lemon juice;
- a carrot;
- 4 tablespoons of cottage cheese.
Blend all the products in a food processor, and then add the lemon juice. Mold and shape the mixture into a roll, cut into portions and serve the treat.
- 1.5 cups of brown rice;
- 1.5 cups of rolled oats;
- 3 cups of water;
- 4 grated carrots;
- 2 grated potatoes;
- 6 lbs. ground beef;
- 2 chopped celery sticks;
- 8 eggs;
- 3 tbsps. of olive oil;
- pinch of salt.
Firstly, preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 3 baking trays. After that boil rice in a big saucepan and let it cool down. Throw potatoes, carrots, celery, eggs and beef into a large bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. Add the salt, olive oil, rice and oats in there. Pack the mixture down the muffin cups tightly and bake for a bit more than half an hour. When it’s done, serve it to your dog and freeze the remaining cakes.
Rice & Egg Pie
- 2 cups of mixed vegetables;
- a cup of brown rice;
- a cup of beef broth;
- half a cup of low fat milk;
- 3 eggs;
- half a cup of water with one beef stock cube;
- a cup of low fat yogurt.
Firstly, boil the rice. Then mix the rice, vegetables and beef broth in a large casserole dish. In another bowl combine the beef stock, milt, eggs and yogurt. Place these two mixtures together and fold in well. Cook for half an hour at 180 degrees. In the end cut the pie into pieces and serve a few to your dog. The best way to preserve uneaten pieces is to put them in a freezer.
When do you add the egg shell and have these recipes got all the nutritional value that shihtzu need