Before we start lets me explain some terms:
Bitch – female dog
Nipple – Yes, both male and female dogs have nipples. These small bumps extend from their groin area up their stomachs, and the number of nipples can vary. Dogs tend to have between 8 and 10 nipples, but some have more, while others have fewer nipples.
Vulva – the vulva is the outer part of the female genitals.
Is she pregnant?
The main thing you would probably like to know about your dog’s pregnancy is how to test whether she actually is. The very first sign is behavior. Behavior is bound to alter under overwhelming pressure of hormones. She will look more so to say friendly; will try to look for your attention more than usual. Or she may look depressed and lethargic. Anyway, her behavior will digress from the usual.
Apart from psychological changes, check your female Shih Tzu’s body. Swollen, hardened, sharpened, and pink nipples are a true sign of pregnancy.
When pregnant, Shih Tzu’s vulva swells up. But unlike swelling during heat, in this case, the vulva doesn’t bleed and the swelling will not go down until after the very birth. If your bitch starts licking her vulva from time to time because of raising discomfort, this is also a sign.
It’s common knowledge that during pregnancy a tummy starts growing. So if you see a bump on her side and notice that her gait has changed (she’s swelling back and forth while walking), it means she is pregnant. The tummy steadily grows starting from the third week.
Other ways to know she is pregnant
- Ultrasound – the best and expensive (in the US $100 and $1000 depends on the region) way to know. If you want to get 100% correct results you should do this only after 4 weeks after mating. You may have earlier but the result couldn’t be so correct. This procedure is pain-free but may be stressful for your Pet because its belly hair will be shaved off.
- Blood Tests – second-way blood test but only 35 days(5 weeks) after mating. It’s not expensive but less accurate especially if she mates for less than 35 days.
- X-rays – 100% accurate way but can be done only for 7 weeks. By these days puppies will be big enough inside the tummy and doctor can see them on x-ray and even count them by skulls.
If you looking for the answer, must you do one of these tests? No, we do not recommend it, only if you are extremely curious.
How to make pregnancy easier
Your Shih Tzu Pregnancy Diet
- 4 weeks of pregnancy – she will need to eat 5-15% more food;
- by the 7th week – 25 – 30% more than usual;
- by the 8th week – 50% more.
All these numbers are approximate. You need to take care of her and I even recommend giving her as much as she needs since 7th week.
If your dog eats good brand food no need to give her extra vitamins or minerals. But if you feel worried about your dog you should consult with your vet.
If you want to give some medicine to your pregnant Shih Tzu also ask the vet before.
Also very popular question about calcium. Be careful with it, I also recommend asking your vet before because it can be harmful to your dog.
Keep up with your exercise routine during your Shih Tzu Pregnancy.
Exercise is good for Shih Tzu dogs and especially for pregnant Tzus. If you normally walk your dog, continue to do so. But don’t allow her to over-exert herself.
Shih Tzu pregnancy calendar
Knowing week by week timeline of events and how long they last can help you to face any difficulties with bells on. All in all, the length of the pregnancy cycle is nine weeks in total.
|Week/Days||What happens||What to do|
|1 (Days 1 – 7)|| ||
|2 (Days 8 – 14)|| ||
|3 (Days 15 – 21)|| || |
|4 (Days 21 – 28)|| || |
|5 (Days 29 – 35)|| || |
|6 (Days 36 – 42)||
|7 (Days 43 – 49)|| || |
|8 (Days 50 – 56)|| || |
|9 (Days 57 – 63)||the dog’s appetite may drop||
In the end, we would like to say that the main thing you need to know about pregnancy and all the stuff is that any disturbing sign (bleeding, overly lethargic, or irritating behavior) should ring the bell – a vet knows better what to do in any case.
We and our partner provide vet consultations. Click here if you have a question.
If You Found Shih Tzu Pregnancy Helpful, May I suggest…
- Some Peculiarities of Two Months Old Shih Tzu: How to Take Care of a Puppy
- 4 Months Old Shih Tzu: Behavior and Other Peculiarities of 4 Months Old
- 6 Weeks Old Shih Tzu: Advices for Taking Care of Puppies
- Shih Tzu Training: Popular Commands and Training Tricks