Labrador retriever is a big, strong and healthy dog with well-build and athletic body. The average height of an adult Labrador retriever is about 54-58 cm at the shoulder and it weighs from 30 to 40 kilos. Its chest girt is 70-86 cm, head girt is 45-56 cm, muzzle girt is 28-32 cm and the front pastern girt is 11-14 cm.
Average Size and Weight under One Year
The exterior characteristics of Labrador retriever under 1-years age can be presented in a form of chart that will be very convenient for Labrador owner to check with.
|1 month puppy||23-23.5||3.4-3.8|
|2 month puppy||30-32.5||7-8|
|10 week puppy||32-34||8-9|
|3 month puppy||39.5-42||12-14|
|4 month puppy||44-46||17-19|
|5 month puppy||48-51||21-22|
|6 month puppy||50-55||24-26|
|7 month puppy||52-56||26-28|
|8 month puppy||54-57||28-30|
|9 month puppy||54-58||29-32|
|10 month puppy||54-58||30-36|
Ideal exterior characteristics for Labrador retriever are described in FCI standard:
- General impression: strong build up, tight and compact body, with broad skull, with broad and deep chest and rids.
- Head: broad skull, strong muzzle, middle sized teeth.
- Eyes: middle sized, bright, of dark or light brown color.
- Ears: pendant and floppy of triangle shape.
- Neck: strong and massive.
- Tail: wide at the top gradually tapering toward the end.
- Front and back limbs: strong and wide with well-developed bones.
- Movements: free and active, powerful.
- Coat: short, dense; black, chocolate or fawn colored.
If your full grown Labrador doesn’t correspond the standard it says about poor stock breeding or some serious faults in care during the dog’s puppyhood.
The Labrador retriever is an extremely popular breed with such distinctive features as strong body, pendant ears that are located in rather distant proximity, massive front and back limbs
and solid muzzle.
Another recommendation is to by Labrador puppies from verified breeders only.